• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

@Anna Nasked me recently on the Snacking while eGulleting topic about dealing with chicken hearts and their preparation, saying 

I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea.

I answered that I always prepare them by removing excess fat, veins, ventricles, and membranes, etc and I promised a picture. This isn't quite it; these are duck hearts but the principles are the same. Then I got thinking that I eat a lot of poultry viscera / offal and perhaps a dedicated topic would be useful to some people. We've got the various livers obviously, but also hearts, kidneys, gizzards, duck or goose intestines, chicken testicles, duck tongues and more.

Anyway, I'll start with the duck heart preparation, cooking and eating. This was my lunch.

First the hearts. First this lot needed washing.

1775588176_DuckHearts.thumb.jpg.8d91a96732512a5d3607f4dac50bb077.jpg

Duck hearts as bought

Them I trimmed off most of the excess fat using a small paring knife (scissors would work, too) and cut the hearts in half lengthwise. This exposes any veins etc, which should be removed as they are unpalatable and can make the hearts bitter.

trimming.thumb.jpg.266412e52ee9e09daf1affa71c08252c.jpg

Trimmed hearts. The excess fat, veins and ventricles are on the left. The cleaned hearts at top centre.

hearts.thumb.jpg.91d888c7967cf1df924e2ea4d24c0336.jpg

The hearts - I did remove that fat on the piece at the top after taking the photo.

Chopped about 4 cloves of garlic and one hot red Facing Heaven chilli pepper. Fried those in a cast iron frying pan / skillet along with the hearts in olive oil with salt and pepper for about 5 minutes, testing for just doneness. You want them when they just leave medium rare otherwise they get very tough.

cooking.thumb.jpg.9cf2da2e21d74298fca984e854bb1017.jpg

Cooking Hearts

These I served in wholewheat pita breads. Three servings (all for me) from 250g of hearts purchased.

1730193159_DuckHeartPita.thumb.jpg.845c362c932c9afd4babb2e9720da4fb.jpg

Spicy Duck Hearts in Pita

Of course, I used a spicy approach and they do work very well with garlic, but feel free, as always, to experiment with your favourite flavours.  I would have added some finely chopped coriander leaf / cilantro at the end but forgot to buy any . They would be good with a salad, too.

Then there is breakfast and there is nothing nicer than duck hearts on toast.

1967746986_Duckheartsontoast.thumb.jpg.b2ce4dc10e3e5243d4243ab3570175dd.jpg

Duck Hearts on Toast

liuzhou

liuzhou

@Anna Nasked me recently on the Snacking while eGulleting topic about dealing with chicken hearts and their preparation, saying 

I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea.

I answered that I always prepare them by removing excess fat, veins, ventricles, and membranes, etc and I promised a picture. This isn't quite it; these are duck hearts but the principles are the same. Then I got thinking that I eat a lot of poultry viscera / offal and perhaps a dedicated topic would be useful to some people. We've got the various livers obviously, but also hearts, kidneys, gizzards, duck or goose intestines, chicken testicles, duck tongues and more.

Anyway, I'll start with the duck heart preparation, cooking and eating. This was my lunch.

Duck hearts as bought

Them I trimmed off most of the excess fat using a small paring knife (scissors would work, too) and cut the hearts in half lengthwise. This exposes any veins etc, which should be removed as they are unpalatable and can make the hearts bitter.

Trimmed hearts. The excess fat, veins and ventricles are on the left. The cleaned hearts at top centre.

The hearts - I did remove that fat on the piece at the top after taking the photo.

Chopped about 4 cloves of garlic and one hot red Facing Heaven chilli pepper. Fried those in a cast iron frying pan / skillet along with the hearts in olive oil with salt and pepper for about 5 minutes, testing for just doneness. You want them when they just leave medium rare otherwise they get very tough.

Cooking Hearts

These I served in wholewheat pita breads. Three servings (all for me) from 250g of hearts purchased.

Of course, I used a spicy approach and they do work very well with garlic, but feel free, as always, to experiment with your favourite flavours.  I would have added some finely chopped coriander leaf / cilantro at the end but forgot to buy any . They would be good with a salad, too.

Then there is breakfast and there is nothing nicer than duck hearts on toast.

1967746986_Duckheartsontoast.thumb.jpg.b2ce4dc10e3e5243d4243ab3570175dd.jpg

Duck Hearts on Toast

liuzhou

liuzhou

Duck hearts as bought

Cooking Hearts

liuzhou

liuzhou

Them I trimmed off most of the excess fat using a small paring knife and cut the hearts in half lengthwise. This exposes any veins etc, which should be removed as they are unpalatable and can make the hearts bitter.

Cooking Hearts

Of course, I used a spicy approach and they do work very well with garlic, but feel free, as always, to experiment with your favourite flavours.  I would have added some finely chopped coriander leaf / cilantro at the end but forgot to buy it. They would be good with a salad, too.