• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Today I decided to use the last of the mix and make two canelés.  I poured this batter into two molds;  the amount of batter I had was a bit shy of the amount that would usually go into them.  I decided to use room temperature molds as I am curious as to what happens when you neither pre-heat the molds nor freeze them.  The oven was preheated to 400F.  When they went in, I baked them for 5 minutes and then turned the heat down to 325F and baked them for 60 minutes.  For me, they were perfect.  Nice crunch on the outside, no "white ass" the inside sort of a cakey custardy texture if that makes any sense.  I an going to make up another batch of batter today and test the baking times on a batch of 6.  I expect I'll need to adjust the time a bit for the larger batch.  I did test them for color as I went along by quickly upending them to see what their bottoms looked like and with this little bake, added time in 10 minute increments to check on them.  That is how I arrived at a local bake time of 65 minutes.  Edited to add:  these were baked on the convection setting of my oven.

20230913_162211.jpg

20230913_162108.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

Today I decided to use the last of the mix and make two canelés.  I poured this batter into two molds;  the amount of batter I had was a bit shy of the amount that would usually go into them.  I decided to use room temperature molds as I am curious as to what happens when you neither pre-heat the molds nor freeze them.  The oven was preheated to 400F.  When they went in, I baked them for 5 minutes and then turned the heat down to 325F and baked them for 60 minutes.  For me, they were perfect.  Nice crunch on the outside, no "white ass" the inside sort of a cakey custardy texture if that makes any sense.  I an going to make up another batch of batter today and test the baking times on a batch of 6.  I expect I'll need to adjust the time a bit for the larger batch.  I did test them for color as I went along by quickly upending them to see what their bottoms looked like and with this little bake, added time in 10 minute increments to check on them.  That is how I arrived at a local bake time of 65 minutes.

20230913_162211.jpg

20230913_162108.jpg