• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GQ interview with Marion Nestle, NYU emerita professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health.

chromedome

Money quote:

Once you look at food products as widgets that need to be sold to make money for stockholders, you begin to understand how the food system works.

https://www.gq.com/story/how-marion-nestle-changed-the-way-we-talk-about-food

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thanks. Makes a great read. She makes some useful comments about how to assess the value of scientific papers among other things. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 5 weeks later...

She's done a bunch of interviews and appearances on Heritage Radio Network. One thing I wish she would try to emphasize more is the role of the USDA and FDA in creating and perpetuating our broken food system instead of placing so much emphasis on corporate bogeymen. There are lots of those to be sure (she heaps a lot of warranted abuse on Nestle in her book Food Politics, for example). But US food policy favors the production of low quality commodity agricultural goods which then get transformed into low quality highly processed foodstuffs, and a lot of those incentives came out of government subsidization and ag policies during the Cold War. I wish she'd focus more on that part of the story. Regardless, she's a legend in the field (and for good reason).

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1