• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riedel Magnum Overture glasses

Rail Paul

Amazon is offering the large Riedel glasses at a reduced price of $29 to US buyers. List price is $42. Eligible for their super saver free shipping deal.

Specs are:

---capacity of 18 5/8 oz

---height of 7 7/8 inches

eGullet receives a fee if you order via the emblem at the bottom of the thread

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Im very interested... but if you only knew how many Riedel glasses that we and our wild guests, have broken at our parties....

BTW, Egulleteers will not be allowed to use our Riedel glasses at the Chicago Get Together and Karoake party! You're too wild! :laugh:

NB: The Ouverture glasses are not of the same quality as the Vinum, much less the Sommelier.

What, do they leak? :laugh:

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I love Riedel glasses. We have several of the Vinum Extreme. Now if there was just a Canadian link! :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

After years of long and careful experimentation I have found the perfect

method for enjoying everything from fine wine to acid plonk. May I present

the stainless steel dog dish and a plastic eyedropper! The dog dish. Give

it a gentle tap and it rings. Raise it, and feel the heft and solidity. No

more shattered glass with severed veins and poked out eyes when you've had a box or two too many. Almost untippable. No deadly lead leeching into your vintage Mad Dog from sissy lead crystal. Each dog dish is stamped out with the precision that only fine Chinese robotic equipment is capable of. Who are you going to trust, a machine, or some lederhosen clad foreign wino who apprenticed by blowing into breathalyzers on the side of the road? The dog dish's unique design creates an exceptionally wide evaporation surface that helps to intensify a wine's bouquet and enhance a silky taste in the mouth.

To further intensify this effect, the optional baseball cap may be utilized,

although this does require that it be turned in the unnatural position with

the brim in front. With enough wine, however, this starts to feel almost

natural.

The eyedropper, plastic for safety, is the final component in this

system to enhance the bouquet, taste, balance, and finish of every wine you swill. Are you going to trust a stupid glass to be responsible for the flow of the wine, and consequently where it touches the various taste zones of the tongue? Yeah, right! I personally have witnessed, on numerous occasions, a cranky glass deliberately toss the wine through the mouth and up the nose of someone who was innocently enjoying a joke! With the eyedropper, the initial contact point, and the order of those following it, depends only on the sobriety of the imbiber.

To further enhance the safety of the eyedropper, I suggest tying it securely to a large soft object. A rubber dog bone completes the ensemble. Wine is composed of a balance and harmony of different elements: fruit, acidity, minerals, tannin, and alcohol. It is solely the quantity that is chugged that makes these anal and persnickety details irrelevant, not the mythical qualities of some overpriced, jumped up jelly jar. For the price of a single Riedel glass, you can be the proud owner of service for 12. So twist off the cap of that Thunderbird and throw a party!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The Ouverture glasses are not of the same quality as the Vinum, much less the Sommelier.

Can you discuss the differences in quality please. Is it the thinness of the crystal? Or just design? Thanks...

Sommelier glasses are lead crystal and are hand blown.

Vinum are lead crystal, machine made.

Overture are glass, machine made.

8 of these glasses arrived last Friday and they are fairly nice and seem durable.

Sommelier glasses are lead crystal and are hand blown.

Vinum are lead crystal, machine made.

Overture are glass, machine made

i understand these are glass but why are there black stickers on each glasss stating these are "crystal"...

Edited by awbrig (log)