• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

I went through this last year - in addition to a good machine, you need proper humidity and temp.  I had some back and forth with Pastaidea support, and we came to the conclusion, most people dry way too quickly - it needs time, nice and gentle.  A comfortable room temp at 65-70% humidity should work for most shapes, and can take up to a week.  Depending on your machine, more delicate shapes are probably not possible and will be prone to cracking.  For example, with my philips, bucatini will crack while the macaroni/rigatoni shapes are solid.  Not sure about food safety here with using only semolina and water. 

There is at least one mybook group that also does a lot of end-user support for pasta extrusion.  I don't use twitface, but if you do, look these up and you'll find a lot of recommendations for making and drying extruded pastas.

On 6/18/2022 at 5:44 PM, AAQuesada said:

Why do you want to dry the extruded pasta? I've done plenty in restaurants it lasts a good 5 days refrigerated. And can be portioned and frozen for later use. The only reason to dry extruded pasta is to retail it as far as I can tell anyway. 

I'm not the one to whom you addressed this question, however, in addition to "Cada loco con su tema", here's another paradigm that works :)  I enjoy extruding my own pasta, but some of the dies are a real pain in the arse to clean.  Therefore, I will make a lot at one time, much more than I could eat in one or two sittings.  I also have very little room in my fridge and freezer, therefore, drying makes sense for me.  It's all about reaching the ultimate lazy/self-made balance. 

jedovaty

jedovaty

I went through this last year - you need proper humidity and temp.  I had some back and forth with Pastaidea support, and we came to the conclusion, most people dry way too quickly - it needs time, nice and gentle.  A comfortable room temp at 65-70% humidity should work for most shapes, and can take up to a week.  Depending on your machine, more delicate shapes are probably not possible and will be prone to cracking.  For example, with my philips, bucatini will crack while the macaroni/rigatoni shapes are solid.  Not sure about food safety here with using only semolina and water. 

There is at least one mybook group that also does a lot of end-user support for pasta extrusion.  I don't use twitface, but if you do, look these up and you'll find a lot of recommendations for making and drying extruded pastas.

On 6/18/2022 at 5:44 PM, AAQuesada said:

Why do you want to dry the extruded pasta? I've done plenty in restaurants it lasts a good 5 days refrigerated. And can be portioned and frozen for later use. The only reason to dry extruded pasta is to retail it as far as I can tell anyway. 

I'm not the one to whom you addressed this question, however, in addition to "Cada loco con su tema", here's another paradigm that works :)  I enjoy extruding my own pasta, but some of the dies are a real pain in the arse to clean.  Therefore, I will make a lot at one time, much more than I could eat in one or two sittings.  I also have very little room in my fridge and freezer, therefore, drying makes sense for me.  It's all about reaching the ultimate lazy/self-made balance.