• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I wouldn't waste much angst on china.    I have sold or donated well over a half dozen inherited and purchased sets over time, finally settled on all white, large format plates and deep soup plates for fish stews, etc.    IMHO, food looks better on totally unpatterned china with no distraction.   And when a shape is either redundant or needed, I can easily swap out at Pottery Barn and friends.

I like my every day set; I don’t want to buy stuff because my current ones don’t “fit” in my shelving. 

My mother’s main china is a simple white Lenox with I think gold trim. That works for me. But my parents still have and use their stuff.  So not my issue now and if anything when/ if they do sell their home they should have an estate sale. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

41 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I wouldn't waste much angst on china.    I have sold or donated well over a half dozen inherited and purchased sets over time, finally settled on all white, large format plates and deep soup plates for fish stews, etc.    IMHO, food looks better on totally unpatterned china with no distraction.   And when a shape is either redundant or needed, I can easily swap out at Pottery Barn and friends.

I like my every day set; I don’t want to buy stuff because my current once’s don’t “fit” in my shelving. 

My mother’s main Chiba is a simple white Lenox with I think gold trim. That works for me. But my parents still have and use their stuff.  So not my issue now and if anything when/ if they do sell their home they should have an estate sale.