• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Hmmm.

If you do look in the Asian market, you want 糙米(cāo mǐ). It is used for porridge making, often mixed with other grains and not often served as rice accompanying other dishes. This means that in my local supermarkets it is found with the other porridge grains and not with the regular rice. Asian markets may be the same.

Brown rice also comes in two types - glutinous (糯米 (nuò mǐ), 粘米 or 黏米 (nián mǐ)) and non-glutinous.

I hope  this is helpful and not even more confusing.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Hmmm.

If you do look in the Asian market, you want 糙米(cāo mǐ). It is used for porridge making, often mixed with other grains and not often served as rice accompanying other dishes. This means that in my local supermarkets it is found with the other porridge grains and not with the regulat rice. Asian markets may be the same.

Brown rice also comes in two types - glutinous (糯米 (nuò mǐ), 粘米 or 黏米 (nián mǐ)) and non-glutinous.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Hmmm.

If you do look in the Asian market, you want 糙米(cāo mǐ). It is used for porridge making, often mixed with other grains and not often served as rice accompanying other dishes. This means that in my local supermarkets it is found with the other porridge grains and not with the regulat rice. Asian markets may be the same.

Brown rice also comes in two types - glutinous (糯米 (nuò mǐ), 粘米 nianmi or 黏米 (nián mǐ)) and non-glutinous.