• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@Chimayo Joe

So what did they find re buttermilk? How can the chicken know what the pot is made of?

I can't watch 22 minute youtubes without breaking something.

They preferred chicken that wasn't soaked in buttermilk. They preferred chicken that was just dipped in buttermilk and dredged in flour then dipped and dredged again.  They seasoned their flour with Tony Chachere's seasoning.  They preferred chicken that was rested an hour after dredging before frying.  And they preferred pan-fried.  I think cast iron is traditional because it promotes browning when chicken is fried in oil that isn't too deep.  My mom never had trouble with browning  chicken even though she very often cooked in stainless steel (but also in cast iron.) I've never been able to match her chicken no matter what I've cooked it in.  

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@Chimayo Joe

So what did they find re buttermilk? How can the chicken know what the pot is made of?

They preferred chicken that wasn't soaked in buttermilk. They preferred chicken that was just dipped in buttermilk and dredged in flour then dipped and dredged again.  They seasoned their flour with Tony Chachere's seasoning.  They preferred chicken that was rested an hour after dredging before frying.  And they preferred pan-fried.  I think cast iron is traditional because it promotes browning when chicken is fried in oil that isn't too deep.  My mom never had trouble with browning  chicken even though she very often cooked in stainless steel, but also in cast iron. I've never been able to match her chicken no matter what I've cooked it in.  

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

54 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Chimayo Joe

They preferred chicken that wasn't soaked in buttermilk. They preferred chicken that was just dipped in buttermilk and dredged in flour then dipped and dredged again.  They seasoned their flour with Tony Chachere's seasoning.  They preferred chicken that was rested an hour after dredging before frying.  And they preferred pan-fried.  I think cast iron is traditional because it promotes browning when chicken is fried in oil that isn't too deep.  My mom never had trouble with browning  chicken even though she usually cooked in stainless steel.  I've never been able to match her chicken no matter what I've cooked it in.