• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

(unless I am missing something, surely our resident food historian @liuzhou can chime in and clarify!).

I am no food historian, just a casual reader. However, I am certain that while China is renowned (often incorrectly) for steaming, it certainly doesn't own it. Cultures all over the world use it to some extent.

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy independently came up up with al cartoccio, better known in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming, also used in China with fish as 纸包鱼 (zhǐ bāo yú - literally 'paper bag fish').  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.

People have the same ideas over and over again.

liuzhou

liuzhou

(unless I am missing something, surely our resident food historian @liuzhou can chime in and clarify!).

I am no food historian, just a casual reader. However, I am certain that while China is renowned (often incorrectly) for steaming, it certainly doesn't own it. Cultures all over the world use it to some extent.

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy independently came up up with al cartoccio, better known in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming, also used in China with as 纸包鱼 (zhǐ bāo yú).  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy independently came up up with al cartoccio, better known in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming, also used in China with as 纸包鱼 (zhǐ bāo yú).  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy independently came up up with al cartoccio, better known in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming.  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy came up up with al cartoccio, better know in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming.  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy came up up with al cartoccio, better know in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming.  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.