• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rbenash

rbenash

On 2/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, hotsaucerman said:

would love to hear about + see what yall are using yours for. so far i've done some melted cheese on chips/sandwiches, searing steaks post sous vide, and charring peppers for salsa (this last one is SO much nicer than getting the broiler going imo)

Pretty much everything you have done. But my recent change to add that little 1/4 lb tank shown above made it so much easier to use. I find I grab for it more often than when using the large 1lb tank. I was an early adopter of the original Searzall and always used it with a 1lb tank. That said I've been able to keep it close by and pick it up and use it for short tasks much more often.

Eggs - touch up your fried eggs instead of flipping. Minimize risk in breakage. 

BBQ - just used it to prep rib trim that I then placed in my BBQ beans recipe before placing on the smoker. Also touched up my ribs before serving rather than cranking up the broiler or letting them sit on high temp for awhile in the grill.

The 1/4 lb tank I show is good for about 8 minutes of constant use. I have two in case I need a quick change or just load up the 1 lb tank. If you aren't using the Flameking system to refill bottles - have a look. I use it for all my small tank needs rather than throwing empties in the landfill. Their system is pro - works great and very reliable.

The new Searzall is a great improvement, but the original is still great, especially if you have some spare screens, but frankly never wore mine out.

rbenash

rbenash

On 2/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, hotsaucerman said:

would love to hear about + see what yall are using yours for. so far i've done some melted cheese on chips/sandwiches, searing steaks post sous vide, and charring peppers for salsa (this last one is SO much nicer than getting the broiler going imo)

Pretty much everything you have done. But my recent change to add that little 1/4 lb tank shown above made it so much easier to use. I find I grab for it more often then when using the large 1lb tank. I was an early adopter of the original Searzall and always used it with a 1lb tank. That said I've been able to keep it close by and pick it up and use it for short tasks much more often.

Eggs - touch up your fried eggs instead of flipping. Minimize risk in breakage. 

BBQ - just used it to prep rib trim that I then placed in my BBQ beans recipe before placing on the smoker. Also touched up my ribs before serving rather than cranking up the broiler or letting them sit on high temp for awhile in the grill.

The 1/4 lb tank I show is good for about 8 minutes of constant use. I have two in case I need a quick change or just load up the 1 lb tank. If you aren't using the Flameking system to refill bottles - have a look. I use it for all my small tanks needs rather than throwing empties in the landfill. Their system is pro - works great and very reliable.

The new Searzall is a great improvement, but the original is still great, especially if you have some spare screens, but frankly never wore mine out.