• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

S: 花古鱼; T: 花鼓鱼 (huā gǔ yú) or S: 花鼓鱼; T: 花鼓魚 (huā gǔ yú), Trachidermus fasciatus, the somewhat off-puttingly named rough skin sculpin, is another freshwater fish once among the most popular in China.

However, thanks to ‘development’ along the lower Yangtse river where it thrived, the fish is now endangered in China. It is still found in southern Guangxi, but in very limited numbers. Some are imported from Korea and Japan.

Huaguyu.thumb.jpg.6fdb76b2ac6b8d10b245ba23fdcb6d34.jpg

At the equivalent of $30 USD in markets, it is the most expensive freshwater fish I’ve encountered. I’ve never eaten it, so can’t comment on flavour. Some local restaurants have it on their menu at more than double the market price. $60+ for a fish that is only typically 11.5 cm / 4½ inches long. The OED describes it as a 'small worthless fish'.

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

S: 花古鱼; T: 花鼓鱼 (huā gǔ yú) or S: 花鼓鱼; T: 花鼓魚 (huā gǔ yú), Trachidermus fasciatus, roughskin sculpin, is another freshwater fish once among the most popular in China.

However, thanks to ‘development’ along the lower Yangtse river where it thrived, the fish is now endangered in China. It is still found in southern Guangxi, but in very limited numbers. Some are imported from Korea and Japan.

At the equivalent of $30 USD in markets, it is the most expensive freshwater fish I’ve encountered. I’ve never eaten it, so can’t comment on flavour. Some local restaurants have it on their menu at more than double the market price. $60+ for a fish that is only typically 11.5 cm / 4½ inches long. The OED describes it as a 'small worthless fish'.

liuzhou

liuzhou

S: 花古鱼; T: 花鼓鱼 (huā gǔ yú) or S: 花鼓鱼; T: 花鼓魚 (huā gǔ yú), Trachidermus fasciatus, roughskin sculpin, is another freshwater fish once among the most popular in China.

At the equivalent of $30 USD in markets, it is the most expensive freshwater fish I’ve encountered. I’ve never eaten it, so can’t comment on flavour. Some local restaurants have it on their menu at more than double the market price. $60 for a fish that is only typicaally 11.5 cm / 4½ inches long. The OED describes it as a 'small worthless fish'.

liuzhou

liuzhou

At the equivalent of $30 USD in markets, it is the most expensive freshwater fish I’ve encountered. I’ve never eaten it, so can’t comment on flavour. Some local restaurants have it on their menu at more than double the market price. Yet, the OED describes it as a 'small worthless fish'.

liuzhou

liuzhou

At the equivalent of $30 USD in markets, it is the most expensive freshwater fish I’ve encountered. I’ve never eaten it, so can’t comment on flavour. Some local restaurants have it on their menu at more than double the market price.