• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Following the carp family (to which I shall return), the next most farmed freshwater fish in China is 立鱼 (lì yú),  罗飞鱼 (luó fēi yú) or Tilapia. Tilapia is not one species, but any of over 100 different species.

tilapia.thumb.jpg.821f7d01d3117afb9fa263e309d23c36.jpg

Tilapia

While no one sane would claim it to be the tastiest fish going, it is prized for its relative cheapness both in the raising and to the customer. This is mainly due to its being vegetarian.

It does however, divide opinion. Some complain about a muddy flavour; others that it tastes off. I don’t get it. Properly raised tilapia should not taste off and I feel the ”muddy” label is overstated and applies to all freshwater fish, farmed or wild.

The treatment I see most often is found in the many popular 烤鱼 (kǎo yú - roast fish) restaurants, both smart places and ... let’s say “here today; gone tomorrow” roadside pop-ups. It is roasted whole tilapia served under a pile of vegetables and soy beans with a spicy sauce. Some of these places only do that one dish.

242125133_RoastFish.thumb.jpg.c2101034858da61646d2bcde9559426d.jpg

I often eat and enjoy this. A sharing meal.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Following the carp family (to which I shall return), the next most farmed freshwater fish in China is 罗飞鱼 (luó fēi yú) or Tilapia. Tilapia is not one species, but any of over 100 different species.

Tilapia

While no one sane would claim it to be the tastiest fish going, it is prized for its relative cheapness both in the raising and to the customer. This is mainly due to its being vegetarian.

It does however, divide opinion. Some complain about a muddy flavour; others that it tastes off. I don’t get it. Properly raised tilapia should not taste off and I feel the ”muddy” label is overstated and applies to all freshwater fish, farmed or wild.

The treatment I see most often is found in the many popular 烤鱼 (kǎo yú - roast fish) restaurants, both smart places and ... let’s say “here today; gone tomorrow” roadside pop-ups. It is roasted whole tilapia served under a pile of vegetables and soy beans with a spicy sauce. Some of these places only do that one dish.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Following the carp family (to which I shall return), the next most farmed freshwater fish in China is 罗飞鱼 (luó fēi yú) or Tilapia. Tilapia is not one species, but any of over 100 different species.

Tilapia