• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

donk79

donk79

A year or two ago, all I was hearing about online was Allepo pepper.  So I hopped on Amazon (I think, iirc) and ordered some crushed (ground?)  Aleppo pepper.

It was wonderful.  I sprinkled it everywhere red pepper applied.  I didn't forget about it, but gradually it applied fewer places.

Then, this evening I saw a mention of Marasa pepper.  It reminded me very much of the first mention I heard of Aleppo pepper.  And then I had to wonder if it was actually the sourcing of the red pepper that attracted me initially or perhaps only the freshness. 

I have lots of a serrano type hybrid coming out of my garden right now.  I would love to produce my own gloriously wonderful ground pepper and pepper flakes.  If you have any insight or experience, I would love to hear what you have to share.

Thank you!

donk79

donk79

A year or two ago, all I was hearing about online was Allepo pepper.  So I hopped on Amazon (I think, iirc) and ordered some crushed (ground?)  Aleppo pepper.

It was wonderful.  I sprinkled it everywhere red pepper applied.  I didn't forget about it, but gradually it applied fewer places.

Then, this evening I saw a mention of Marasa pepper.  It reminded me very much of the first mention I heard of Aleppo pepper.  And then I had to wonder if it was actually the sourcing of the red pepper that attracted me initially