• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

53 minutes ago, cdh said:

Thinking of sorbets and such as a fruit vector- has anybody done applesauce frozen in the pint and spun? I recall somebody someplace talking about pie filling as a thing to do in the Creami... applesauce and pie filling can't be too far apart. 

I haven’t done it but I’ve made apple popsicles where the first step was basically to make applesauce and that worked fine. Apple cranberry, spiced apple, and apple with salted caramel were more interesting than plain apple. Definitely add a bit more lemon than a straight applesauce. 

Edited to add: Same goes for pears. Pear and ginger is amazing! Pears with a little almond extract or pears with cognac are also very nice combos. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

45 minutes ago, cdh said:

Thinking of sorbets and such as a fruit vector- has anybody done applesauce frozen in the pint and spun? I recall somebody someplace talking about pie filling as a thing to do in the Creami... applesauce and pie filling can't be too far apart. 

I haven’t done it but I’ve made apple popsicles where the first step was basically to make applesauce and that worked fine. Apple cranberry, spiced apple, and apple with salted caramel were more interesting than plain apple. Definitely add a bit more lemon than a straight applesauce.