• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tikidoc

tikidoc

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Which group?  I joined one when I first got my Creami and then quit the group because the same questions were asked over and over again.  Maybe yours is a better one?

Ninja Creami Community.

There IS a lot of repetition. That said, I don’t think I would have ever considered buying protein drinks to make ice cream, or specifically tried Fairlife, which, in my opinion, is dramatically better than other brands. I would say that now, probably 90% of what I make in the Creami is either all or almost all fruit, or based on a Fairlife drink, because I can enjoy them without guilt. I’ve lost a little over 30# this year (and want to lose a bit more), and this allows me to eat things that feel like cheating but aren’t. 

For example, I used fresh figs from the garden, a vanilla Fairlife, a splash of balsamic for acid, a pinch of xanthan gum, and a smallish chunk of chèvre, blended then frozen, and it was delicious. The kids hated it (“that’s so wrong!!!”), and I didn’t even offer it to DH because he is not a fan of goat cheese or figs. I’m sure it would have been even better with cream or half and half, but it still tasted pretty indulgent, and the only “cheat”, if you can even call it that, was a little goat cheese.

I would say that I use this thread on eGullet more for inspiration for flavor combinations, then adapt them to try to keep them healthier using tips I picked up on the FB group. 

The other thing that the FB group has been helpful for is finding sources for extra pints (Kohl’s!!).

tikidoc

tikidoc

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Which group?  I joined one when I first got my Creami and then quit the group because the same questions were asked over and over again.  Maybe yours is a better one?

Ninja Creami Community.

There IS a lot of repetition. That said, I don’t think I would have ever considered buying protein drinks to make ice cream, or specifically tried Fairlife, which, in my opinion, is dramatically better than other brands. I would say that now, probably 90% of what I make in the Creami is either all or almost all fruit, or based on a Fairlife drink, because I can enjoy them without guilt. I’ve lost a little over 30# this year (and want to lose a bit more), and this allows me to eat things that feel like cheating but aren’t.