• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

On Friday a wind storm ripped out my Thai basil plant just before I had to leave for work for the weekend. I decided to quickly try two recipes from EMP, mint "sorbet" and mint ice cream, subbing Thai basil of course. Processed them when I got home today

Thai basil ice cream (on right), was a pretty classic recipe. I steeped 75% of the leaves and blended in the other 25% for color (blanched beforehand). Turned out very well in the Ninja on Lite. It was a bit soft and I'd probably process on Gelato or a shorter cycle next time if I needed to serve immediately. 

Left, the basil "sorbet" - a mass of blended water, basil, glucose, sucrose, and milk powder. I think that makes it not a sorbet but I thought the milk powder might be my golden ticket to sorbets out of thin substances. Alas it tasted terrible, like you'd expect reconstituted milk powder to taste, even when hidden under a healthy amount of basil. Melted very fast too after processing on Lite

20220619_221506.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

On Friday a wind storm ripped out my Thai basil plant just before I had to leave for work for the weekend. I decided to try two recipes from EMP, mint "sorbet" and mint ice cream, subbing Thai basil of course. Processed them when I got home today

Thai basil ice cream (on right), was a pretty classic recipe. I steeped 75% of the leaves and blended in the other 25% for color (blanched beforehand). Turned out very well in the Ninja on Lite. It was a bit soft and I'd probably process on Gelato or a shorter cycle next time if I needed to serve immediately. 

Left, the basil "sorbet" - a mass of blended water, basil, glucose, sucrose, and milk powder. I think that makes it not a sorbet but I thought the milk powder might be my golden ticket to sorbets out of thin substances. Alas it tasted terrible, like you'd expect reconstituted milk powder to taste, even when hidden under a healthy amount of basil. Melted very fast too after processing on Lite

20220619_221506.jpg