• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is the strawberry sorbet - excellent texture, scoops beautifully but tastes like ass so has been washed down the drain. I'm not sure what the faulty ingredient is. There was a sulfury smell and taste. I'm suspicious that my dextrose might be the responsible party but it doesn't taste off in the container. I've got a memory of a recipe I binned a while back that used dextrose though. 

I've never had off flavor from dextrose but certainly seems possible, my maltodextrin has a bit of an industrial flat/stale taste, nothing sulfury though

I am liking the pastes... wondering if anyone wants to try that in the Ninja?

andrewk512

andrewk512

This is the strawberry sorbet - excellent texture, scoops beautifully but tastes like ass so has been washed down the drain. I'm not sure what the faulty ingredient is. There was a sulfury smell and taste. I'm suspicious that my dextrose might be the responsible party but it doesn't taste off in the container. I've got a memory of a recipe I binned a while back that used dextrose though. 

What was your recipe? Did you use frozen strawberries? I find the strawberry sorbets sometimes taste this way when they are undersweetened or overdiluted (such as when I've used a particularly old batch of frozen strawberries). I've never had off flavor from dextrose but certainly seems possible, my maltodextrin has a bit of an industrial flat/stale taste, nothing sulfury though

I am liking the pastes... wondering if anyone wants to try that in the Ninja?

andrewk512

andrewk512

What was your recipe? Did you use frozen strawberries? I find the strawberry sorbets sometimes taste this way when they are undersweetened or overdiluted (such as when I've used a particularly old batch of frozen strawberries). I've never had off flavor from dextrose but certainly seems possible, my maltodextrin has a bit of an industrial flat/stale taste, nothing sulfury though