• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 5/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, andrewk512 said:

What are people's thoughts on chamber vacuuming the ice cream after processing? Or maybe even drilling a hole to attach a food saver hose attachment to the pint container for use during processing? Am I asking for trouble? I want to get rid of the air holes that make the final product difficult to smoothly quenelle

I was wondering about air bubbles, but before getting to this, do you think the container lid will be strong enough to take the vacuum?  It seems too floppy/flimsy and would suck down, deform, or even crack.  Maybe pull a vacuum in a different container, then gently pour into the creami one?

In reviewing many recipes last couple days, it appears the blender is used quite a bit, and my experiences with a vitamix yielded a lot of excess bubbles and foam.  Wouldn't this cause the resulting frozen treat to be full of air which ultimately leads to ice and unpleasant texture?

After reading about using a vacuum sealer to pull out the bubbles a couple weeks ago on this forum, I tried it with my food saver mason jar hose thing on some blended veggie soup**.  The contents in the jar expanded very quick and could have resulted with hot soup everywhere, fortunately, I stopped it in time.  Use caution.

Oh, and thank you for the idea that one can use the foodsaver hose with other lids besides just the mason jar attachment.  Can't believe I didn't think of this after 7 years with this thing haha. 🤦‍♂️  I can use a larger jar, poke a hole in the lid, stick in a grommet, and all's good.  Thanks!!

**all remaining veggies in fridge near wilting get boiled in water then blended into a hot smoothie sort of soup thing, called green soup, brown soup, or camo soup mmmmm

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 5/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, andrewk512 said:

What are people's thoughts on chamber vacuuming the ice cream after processing? Or maybe even drilling a hole to attach a food saver hose attachment to the pint container for use during processing? Am I asking for trouble? I want to get rid of the air holes that make the final product difficult to smoothly quenelle

I was wondering about air bubbles, but before getting to this, do you think the container lid will be strong enough to take the vacuum?  It seems too floppy/flimsy and would suck down, deform, or even crack.  Maybe pull a vacuum in a different container, then gently pour into the creami one?

In reviewing many recipes last couple days, it appears the blender is used quite a bit, and my experiences with a vitamix yielded a lot of excess bubbles and foam.  After reading about using a vacuum sealer to pull out the bubbles a couple weeks ago on this forum, I tried it with my food saver mason jar hose thing on some blended veggie soup**.  The contents in the jar expanded very quick and could have resulted with hot soup everywhere, fortunately, I stopped it in time.  Use caution.

Oh, and thank you for the idea that one can use the foodsaver hose with other lids besides just the mason jar attachment.  Can't believe I didn't think of this after 7 years with this thing haha. 🤦‍♂️  I can use a larger jar, poke a hole in the lid, stick in a grommet, and all's good.  Thanks!!

**all remaining veggies in fridge near wilting get boiled in water then blended into a hot smoothie sort of soup thing, called green soup, brown soup, or camo soup mmmmm