• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add stabilizer

On 2/4/2022 at 4:00 PM, andrewk512 said:

2) Sour citrus & quinine sorbet - I used the Morgenthaler tonic syrup recipe to make this sorbet, had a really nice punchy balance of sour and bitter, but turned out a bit gummy due to some of the additives probably, I'm gonna see how it fares when it hardens up in the freezer

How did this do?  Sounds like a very refreshing combination!

The other day, David Lebovitz shared a recipe for a white chocolate sorbet adapted from Gale Gand's book Chocolate & Vanilla and I decided to give it a try. Here it is with dark chocolate shaved over the top. It's nice.  Lighter than an ice cream but still rich from the cocoa butter in the chocolate. 

1567512870_whitechocolatesorbet.thumb.jpg.0040b1e32a8208b5c87a63e5f32c5161.jpg

I've also enjoyed it with scoop of strawberry sorbet and separately with a scoop of tangerine sorbet and I'd say it works really well with fruit flavors.   On its own, it's fairly subtle.  

It's not truly a sorbet as it contains milk so maybe more of an ice milk?  The recipe is here in his newsletter or here in a blog post from 2006. He gives a yield of 2 cups in the newsletter.  I got closer to 3.5 cups.

I used Weiss Anëo 34% white chocolate as its what I had on hand.  For the alcohol, I added a tablespoon of homemade, unsweetened creme de cacao (vodka steeped with cacao nibs for several weeks.)  Kinda wish I'd split it up and made half with Green Chartreuse. 

Edited to add that I also added about 1 tsp of Avacream along with the sugar.  

This made me wonder what a ruby chocolate ice cream would be like.  Callebaut has a recipe for one that adds raspberry purée.  Maybe I'll try a small batch. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 2/4/2022 at 4:00 PM, andrewk512 said:

2) Sour citrus & quinine sorbet - I used the Morgenthaler tonic syrup recipe to make this sorbet, had a really nice punchy balance of sour and bitter, but turned out a bit gummy due to some of the additives probably, I'm gonna see how it fares when it hardens up in the freezer

How did this do?  Sounds like a very refreshing combination!

The other day, David Lebovitz shared a recipe for a white chocolate sorbet adapted from Gale Gand's book Chocolate & Vanilla and I decided to give it a try. Here it is with dark chocolate shaved over the top. It's nice.  Lighter than an ice cream but still rich from the cocoa butter in the chocolate. 

1567512870_whitechocolatesorbet.thumb.jpg.0040b1e32a8208b5c87a63e5f32c5161.jpg

I've also enjoyed it with scoop of strawberry sorbet and separately with a scoop of tangerine sorbet and I'd say it works really well with fruit flavors.   On its own, it's fairly subtle.  

It's not truly a sorbet as it contains milk so maybe more of an ice milk?  The recipe is here in his newsletter or here in a blog post from 2006. He gives a yield of 2 cups in the newsletter.  I got closer to 3.5 cups.

I used Weiss Anëo 34% white chocolate as its what I had on hand.  For the alcohol, I added a tablespoon of homemade, unsweetened creme de cacao (vodka steeped with cacao nibs for several weeks.)  Kinda wish I'd split it up and made half with Green Chartreuse. 

This made me wonder what a ruby chocolate ice cream would be like.  Callebaut has a recipe for one that adds raspberry purée.  Maybe I'll try a small batch.