• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

3 hours ago, yimyammer said:

Thanks for all the great, informative posts everyone.  

I need to spend more time here (or perhaps I don't as I want to buy all the gadgets I read about), another thread here convinced me to make the plunge on a Control Freak and because of this thread I am considering a Creami as well.  A couple of questions if y'all don't mind:

* Has anyone determined the fastest a freezer set at approximately -6F to -7F can freeze a recipe so it can be spun into ice cream?

* Looks like you can't add anything chunky like nuts, toffee chunks, pie crusts, etc, etc because the ninja will pulverize them so they'd have to be stirred in after the ice cream is created, is that right?

Thanks! 

Heavily freezer dependent - my fridge freezer is at -18C and takes anywhere from 24-36 hrs to freeze the ice creams to -18C whereas my deep freezer is at -28C and can freeze the bases to -24C over around 6 hrs. I haven't added any chunks but there is a mix-in function which I believe does pulverize a bit but has a goal to leave things relatively intact. I don't have a control freak but I think you will love it for making ice creams if you get a creami. It would be great to program the dispersion and pasteurization temps and then you can also hold at 162f for 25mins to optimize the texture -( http://icecreamscience.com/section-1/ )

Had a lot of leftover mascarpone so I made this mascarpone ice cream today from Migoya's Frozen Desserts - perfect texture processed on lite. Served with a bit of candied fennel and passionfruit.

Also working on adding maltodextrin to juice-like liquids for sorbets. In my previous watermelon post I used 5% maltodextrin which worked very well. Yesterday with pomegranate juice I used 11% maltodextrin to get the necessary solids content. Absolutely disgusting back of the mouth chalk-like flavor, but had the most perfect ice cream like texture. Doing some more reading maltodextrin can be used in high percentages in ice creams to replace portions of cream without discernible notice, but I wonder if this is less apparent due to the heavier flavor of ice cream. The Underbelly blog suggests no more than 20% of all sugar should be maltodextrin, so I made another recipe that cuts the maltodextrin in half and gets the solids content from rebalancing the other sugars and increasing atomized glucose. I will try it out in a week or so when I get more pomegranate juice.  Ideally this will be used to create a framework that could turn any thin liquid into a cream like frozen dessert with no dairy

20211031_151744.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

3 hours ago, yimyammer said:

Thanks for all the great, informative posts everyone.  

I need to spend more time here (or perhaps I don't as I want to buy all the gadgets I read about), another thread here convinced me to make the plunge on a Control Freak and because of this thread I am considering a Creami as well.  A couple of questions if y'all don't mind:

* Has anyone determined the fastest a freezer set at approximately -6F to -7F can freeze a recipe so it can be spun into ice cream?

* Looks like you can't add anything chunky like nuts, toffee chunks, pie crusts, etc, etc because the ninja will pulverize them so they'd have to be stirred in after the ice cream is created, is that right?

Thanks! 

Heavily freezer dependent - my fridge freezer is at -18C and takes anywhere from 24-36 hrs to freeze the ice creams to -18C whereas my deep freezer is at -28C and can freeze the bases to -24C over around 6 hrs. I haven't added any chunks but there is a mix-in function which I believe does pulverize a bit but has a goal to leave things relatively intact

Had a lot of leftover mascarpone so I made this mascarpone ice cream today from Migoya's Frozen Desserts - perfect texture processed on lite. Served with a bit of candied fennel and passionfruit.

Also working on adding maltodextrin to juice-like liquids for sorbets. In my previous watermelon post I used 5% maltodextrin which worked very well. Yesterday with pomegranate juice I used 11% maltodextrin to get the necessary solids content. Absolutely disgusting back of the mouth chalk-like flavor, but had the most perfect ice cream like texture. Doing some more reading maltodextrin can be used in high percentages in ice creams to replace portions of cream without discernible notice, but I wonder if this is less apparent due to the heavier flavor of ice cream. The Underbelly blog suggests no more than 20% of all sugar should be maltodextrin, so I made another recipe that cuts the maltodextrin in half and gets the solids content from rebalancing the other sugars and increasing atomized glucose. I will try it out in a week or so when I get more pomegranate juice.  Ideally this will be used to create a framework that could turn any thin liquid into a cream like frozen dessert with no dairy

20211031_151744.jpg