• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/23/2021 at 12:28 AM, JeanneCake said:

Have sales recovered?  Makes me wonder what makes the Guizhou chillis so much better tasting than the cheaper ones they tried to sub; is it the growing area, type of chilli?

The expression on her face (from the label and the article) just says "hard line" to me - this woman will not take guff from anyone!

Yes, sales have recovered. The return to the original recipe started the recovery process, then Covid and its lockdowns etc helped as people stocked up.

The Henan chillies are not necessarily better; just different. This (badly translated but understandable) article from 2020 explains in more detail.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Have sales recovered?  Makes me wonder what makes the Guizhou chillis so much better tasting than the cheaper ones they tried to sub; is it the growing area, type of chilli?

The expression on her face (from the label and the article) just says "hard line" to me - this woman will not take guff from anyone!

Yes, sales have recovered. The return to the original menu started the recovery process, then Covid and its lockdowns etc helped as people stocked up.

The Henan chillies are not necessarily better; just different. This (badly translated but understandable) article from 2020 explains in more detail.