• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, wannabechocolatier said:

Well I'm not too informed on the equipment side, but I've just been under the impression spray guns were for spraying large areas at once and airbrushes were for more delicate work, e.g. Dubovik's eye technique, or maybe conserving cocoa butter by coloring one cavity at a time

I've got a 3 gallon compressor but am eyeing one of the 1 gallon california air tools for the sake of noise.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what does that grex provide that an iwata gravity feed wouldn't?

Spray guns are useful for very large molds, but not necessary.  I use my Grex airbrush for single molds and for Easter eggs as well.  The airbrush will be the more expensive item; spray guns can be found for very little money.  They tend to use more cocoa butter than an airbrush.  I have a Fuji, and at first I used it because of its speed in coverage, but I quickly discovered it uses a huge amount of cocoa butter.  I was using so much cocoa butter that I fully expected a thank you note from Chef Rubber.  After a while the necessity of removing the tube delivering pressure to the Fuji spray cup became really annoying.  For me the Grex is quite sufficient for coverage.  I also have an Iwata (which I bought just for trying Dubovik's eye technique).  I don't know which model you are thinking of, but the one I have has a button on top which you press to spray (this is how most airbrushes operate).  In time, that motion becomes much more uncomfortable than pressing the trigger on the Grex (and other airbrushes like it).  As for compressors, I wouldn't trade a 3-gal. one for a 1-gal. unless you absolutely cannot endure the noise.  Bigger is better.  I have a compressor of 4.6 gallon capacity, and it struggles with a spray gun. 

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, wannabechocolatier said:

Well I'm not too informed on the equipment side, but I've just been under the impression spray guns were for spraying large areas at once and airbrushes were for more delicate work, e.g. Dubovik's eye technique, or maybe conserving cocoa butter by coloring one cavity at a time

I've got a 3 gallon compressor but am eyeing one of the 1 gallon california air tools for the sake of noise.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what does that grex provide that an iwata gravity feed wouldn't?

Spray guns are useful for very large molds, but not necessary.  I use my Grex airbrush for single molds and for Easter eggs as well.  The airbrush will be the more expensive item; spray guns can be found for very little money.  They tend to use more cocoa butter than an airbrush.  I have a Fuji, and at first I used it because of its speed in coverage, but I quickly discovered it uses a huge amount of cocoa butter.  I was using so much cocoa butter that I fully expected a thank you note from Chef Rubber.  After a while the necessity of removing the tube delivering pressure to the Fuji spray cup became really annoying.  For me the Grex is quite sufficient for coverage.  I also have an Iwata (which I bought just for trying Dubovik's eye techniquie).  I don't know which model you are thinking of, but the one I have has a button on top which you press to spray (this is how most airbrushes operate).  In time, that motion becomes much more uncomfortable than pressing the trigger on the Grex (and other airbrushes like it).  As for compressors, I wouldn't trade a 3-gal. one for a 1-gal. unless you absolutely cannot endure the noise.  Bigger is better.  I have a compressor of 4.6 gallon capacity, and it struggles with a spray gun.