• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

On 5/2/2022 at 6:45 PM, jedovaty said:

FWIW, it works "okay" if using a foodsaver with the mason jar attachment.  It takes 4 or 5 vacuums to get it, though, since the foam rises up the jar.  I also use the mason jar attachment to quick pickle things like cucumbers, onions, and radishes.  Works great for those.

edit: "it" being pulling vacuum on blender foam

I bought the elusive and rarely sold in Canada food saver mason jar attachment for this purpose. It plugs into my polyscience machine but I find it really finnicky to attach to the mason jars

Maybe I just need to try more cycles. I find the first cycle or two often creates more foam for me. For some reason I only get a satisfying result when I use a bag and have the seal function on. I find this oddly happens with pickling/compressing too (foods aren't compressing). I am using 500ml round deli style containers, trying to both de-aerate as well as quick pickle in them

andrewk512

andrewk512

On 5/2/2022 at 6:45 PM, jedovaty said:

FWIW, it works "okay" if using a foodsaver with the mason jar attachment.  It takes 4 or 5 vacuums to get it, though, since the foam rises up the jar.  I also use the mason jar attachment to quick pickle things like cucumbers, onions, and radishes.  Works great for those.

edit: "it" being pulling vacuum on blender foam

I bought the elusive and rarely sold in Canada food saver mason jar attachment for this purpose. It plugs into my polyscience machine but I find it really finnicky to attach to the mason jars

Maybe I just need to try more cycles. I find the first cycle or two often creates more foam for me. For some reason I only get a satisfying result when I use a bag and have the seal function on. I find this oddly happens with pickling/compressing too. I am using 500ml round deli style containers, trying to both de-aerate as well as quick pickle in them