• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I recently got a refrigerated  display case, and the bonbons look so pretty all lined up, oh boy!  But am having issues with humidity, everything is kind of sticky.  I put my humidity gauge in there and  it hasn't gone below 70% even after adding humidity absorbers.  I also noticed that more droplets are forming on bonbons with less cocoa butter decoration - for example, on this one, the green is still shiny and dry but the plain chocolate is not.  Does this suggest a formulation issue rather than humidity alone, or some combo?  Any ideas/tips?  If water is being drawn through the non-decorated parts of the shell, what can I do beyond way heavier CB decoration?  I can't determine if the 'anti-fog' switch helps or hinders, should less air movement be better or worse for chocolate?
D581AE9B-E3BB-4860-89B3-53E8D6D70C28.thumb.jpeg.c3b2a02ec18f25c35dc8efde92ad1ded.jpeg

This does not happen with bonbons kept in my regular fridge in ziplock containers ...

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I recently got a refrigerated  display case, and the bonbons look so pretty all lined up, oh boy!  But am having issues with humidity, everything is kind of sticky.  I put my humidity gauge in there and  it hasn't gone below 70% even after adding humidity absorbers.  I also noticed that more droplets are forming on bonbons with less cocoa butter decoration - for example, on this one, the green is still shiny and dry but the plain chocolate is not.  Does this suggest a formulation issue rather than humidity alone, or some combo?  Any ideas/tips?  If water is being drawn through the non-decorated parts of the shell, what can I do beyond way heavier CB decoration?  I can't determine if the 'anti-fog' switch helps or hinders, should less air movement be better or worse for chocolate?
D581AE9B-E3BB-4860-89B3-53E8D6D70C28.thumb.jpeg.c3b2a02ec18f25c35dc8efde92ad1ded.jpeg

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I recently got a refrigerated  display case, and the bonbons look so pretty all lined up, oh boy!  But am having issues with humidity, everything is kind of sticky.  I put my humidity gauge in there and  it hasn't gone below 70% even after adding humidity absorbers.  I also noticed that more droplets are forming on bonbons with less cocoa butter decoration - for example, on this one, the green is still shiny and dry but the plain chocolate is not.  Does this suggest a formulation issue rather than humidity alone, or some combo?  Any ideas/tips?  If water is being drawn through the non-decorated parts of the, what can I do beyond way heavier CB decoration? 

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I recently got a refrigerated  display case, and the bonbons look so pretty all lined up, oh boy!  But am having issues with humidity, everything is kind of sticky.  I put my humidity gauge in there and  it hasn't gone below 70% even after adding humidity absorbers.  I also noticed that more droplets are forming on bonbons with less cocoa butter decoration - for example, on this one, the green is still shiny and dry but the plain chocolate is not.  Does this suggest a formulation issue rather than humidity alone, or some combo?  Any ideas/tips?  If water is being drawn through the non-decorated parts of the, what can I do beyond way heavier CB decoration?