• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

On 2/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, Darienne said:

I love lamb, liver and cooked beets.  Ed will not touch them.  He likes head cheese.  Yuck.  I won't eat anything jellied.  We both like sauerkraut.  No one with any sense at all likes gefilte fish.   We both can't stand Nutella.  And we don't eat shellfish of any kind.  Partly heritage; partly I don't like meat that crunches. (emphasis added)

I've never had corned beef and cabbage but I'd like to try. 

I don't think you're supposed to eat the shells. (yes, that's my smart-ass comment for the next 15 minutes).

The three things I will not eat to this day, all of which cause my West Tennessee relatives to raise an eyebrow:

1. Cooked greens of any kind. Even spinach.

2. Calves liver (I will eat chicken livers in pate).

3. Souse meat/head cheese. 

I can't bear to be in the house when Nos. 1 and 2 are being cooked. The smell nauseates me. My late husband did not believe me. He once cooked liver and onions for his dinner while I was out at a meeting. I came home, walked inside, got a deep breath, and threw up. That broke him from ever trying to cook liver at home. Greens are not as bad, but decidedly unpleasant to smell cooking.

Souse meat is just nasty. I'd rather eat chitlins.

kayb

kayb

On 2/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, Darienne said:

I love lamb, liver and cooked beets.  Ed will not touch them.  He likes head cheese.  Yuck.  I won't eat anything jellied.  We both like sauerkraut.  No one with any sense at all likes gefilte fish.   We both can't stand Nutella.  And we don't eat shellfish of any kind.  Partly heritage; partly I don't like meat that crunches. (emphasis added)

I've never had corned beef and cabbage but I'd like to try. 

I don't think you're supposed to eat the shells. (yes, that's my smart-ass comment for the next 15 minutes.

The three things I will not eat to this day, all of which cause my West Tennessee relatives to raise an eyebrow:

1. Cooked greens of any kind. Even spinach.

2. Calves liver (I will eat chicken livers in pate).

3. Souse meat/head cheese. 

I can't bear to be in the house when Nos. 1 and 2 are being cooked. The smell nauseates me. My late husband did not believe me. He once cooked liver and onions for his dinner while I was out at a meeting. I came home, walked inside, got a deep breath, and threw up. That broke him from ever trying to cook liver at home. Greens are not as bad, but decidedly unpleasant to smell cooking.

Souse meat is just nasty. I'd rather eat chitlins.