• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Claudia Roden has a new book that not only has different US and UK cover design but also different titles.  

That is quite common for all kinds of books. I have one friend (British) who bought Fuchsia Dunlop's "Sichuan Cookery" and loved it so much that, when she saw another book called "Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking" by the same author, she had to have that, too.

When it was delivered she was disappointed to discover it she now had two copies of the same book - the only minor difference being that weights were in grams in the UK version but in some obscure medieval concepts like 'cups' and 'taels'or some such in the US version.

When Dunlop published 'The Food of Sichuan' later, my friend was suspicious. Quite rightly. It is a revised version of the two she already has. It too, has the same slight differences between the USA and UK versions, but the same cover.

It has been translated and to my amusement the Chinese name is 川菜 which is a direct translation of the first title, 'Sichuan Cookery'!

Here is my battered and splash-stained copy of the first title.

fuchsia.thumb.jpg.20e8e48e0ae9dc92c83886de61f6e88d.jpg

and the third in the UK version

1355508730__20210904190020.thumb.jpg.cbb2ef0d9189d836c73027fb76f69fe9.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Claudia Roden has a new book that not only has different US and UK cover design but also different titles.  

That is quite common for all kinds of books. I have one friend (British) who bought Fuchsia Dunlop's "Sichuan Cookery" and loved it so much that, when she saw another book called "Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking" by the same author, she had to have that, too.

When it was delivered she was disappointed to discover it she now had two copies of the same book - the only minor difference being that weights were in grams in the UK version but in some obscure medieval concepts like 'cups' and 'taels'or some such in the US version.

When Dunlop published 'The Food of Sichuan' later, my friend was suspicious. Quite rightly. It is a revised version of the two she already has. It too, has the same slight differences between the USA and UK versions, but the same cover.

It has been translated and to my amusement the Chinese name is 川菜 which is a direct translation of the first title, 'Sichuan Cookery'!

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

When it was delived she was disappointed to discover it she now had two copies of the same book - the only minor differences being that weights were in grams in the UK version but in some obscure medieval concepts like 'cups' and 'taels'or some such.

When Dunlop published 'The Food of Sichuan' later. my friend was suspicious. Quite rightly. It is a revised version of the two she already has. It too, has slight differences between the USA and UK versions, but the same cover.