• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, Choc in London said:

Thanks both for the great responses! Jim, I've got a few larger brushes so I'll have an attempt with those; I'm sure with practice I'll get the hang of it. Pastrygirl, those are good suggestions, and I hadn't thought about sponges!

Re the Pollock style of splashing CB onto the moulds, how does one get a bright finish when using dark/milk chocolate? I found that even with bright colours, without a white backing the colour is almost completely lost. Is it worth mixing some white with the other colours before use? Is it possible to colour a small batch of dark/milk with CB before making the shells, or does the colour tend to become too diluted?

Thanks again :)

I think it depends on the formulation of the colors you're using.  Are you mixing your own or purchasing them?  I use Chef Rubber and Roxy & Rich colors, most of which are opaque, especially metallics (silver, gold, bronze).  I pretty much never back with white.

You could color white chocolate, but anything mixed into milk or dark will get lost in all the brown.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, Choc in London said:

Thanks both for the great responses! Jim, I've got a few larger brushes so I'll have an attempt with those; I'm sure with practice I'll get the hang of it. Pastrygirl, those are good suggestions, and I hadn't thought about sponges!

Re the Pollock style of splashing CB onto the moulds, how does one get a bright finish when using dark/milk chocolate? I found that even with bright colours, without a white backing the colour is almost completely lost. Is it worth mixing some white with the other colours before use? Is it possible to colour a small batch of dark/milk with CB before making the shells, or does the colour tend to become too diluted?

Thanks again :)

I think it depends on the formulation of the colors you're using.  Are you mixing your own or purchasing them?  I use Chef Rubber and Roxy & Rich colors, most of which are opaque, especially metallics (silver, gold, bronze).

You could color white chocolate, but anything mixed into milk or dark will get lost in all the brown.