• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

I didn't take a picture, but our latest delivery box was from a specialty cousin of these services — Umamicart. I'd been thinking of placing an order from some time and was motivated by a discount. 

Ended up getting a mix of produce (thai chiles and basil, bok choy, gai lan, curry leaves, and lemongrass), some fresh noodles, frozen buns, and a bunch of pantry staples (laoganma black bean, nam prik, pickled mustard, samba, ginkgo nuts, one of the fancy Omsom kits, and some rice and tapioca flours). Decided to limit my frozen order and avoid raw meat on the first order just so I could test their shipping (which was great).

Pricing on some things is a bit higher than local stores, but not that much, and the produce quality was excellent. Definitely the freshest Thai chiles I've gotten in a while.

Packaging was similar to Misfits with the thick insulation lining the box and frozen stuff in insulated bags within. Anything glass was super well wrapped; I might even dare to order fish sauce from them. Shipping was FedEx from Long Island City and *fast* — I ordered at 1PM on the 9th, it was out the door by 5PM, and arrived at 1PM the next day.

Definitely would order again, though I also want to try the amusingly named SayWeee! for comparison. YamiBuy is another option, but they only do nonperishable stuff.

dtremit

dtremit

I didn't take a picture, but our latest delivery box was from a specialty cousin of these services — Umamicart. I'd been thinking of placing an order from some time and was motivated by a discount. 

Ended up getting a mix of produce (thai chiles and basil, bok choy, gai lan, curry leaves, and lemongrass), some fresh noodles, frozen buns, and a bunch of pantry staples (laoganma black bean, nam prik, pickled mustard, samba, ginkgo nuts, one of the fancy Omsom kits, and some rice and tapioca flours).

Pricing on some things is a bit higher than local stores, but not that much, and the produce quality was excellent. Definitely the freshest Thai chiles I've gotten in a while.

Packaging was similar to Misfits with the thick insulation lining the box and frozen stuff in insulated bags within. Anything glass was super well wrapped; I might even dare to order fish sauce from them. Shipping was FedEx from Long Island City and *fast* — I ordered at 1PM on the 9th, it was out the door by 5PM, and arrived at 1PM the next day.

Definitely would order again, though I also want to try the amusingly named SayWeee! for comparison. YamiBuy is another option, but they only do nonperishable stuff.