• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

Clarity issues :)

25 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have an odd ganache question. I use Peter Greweling's recipe for dried cherries and toasted almonds in a hazelnut gianduja. He calls for slabbing it, but I have used it as a bonbon filling. The problem is that the mixture is incredibly difficult to pipe--with the chopped almonds and the cherries that tend to clump together (this happens to me also in his Cherry Kirsch recipe). So I came up with the "brilliant" idea of chopping up the cherries, coating the pieces in confectioner's sugar and dropping a few in each cavity, followed by a little of the chopped almonds, then on top the gianduja. The idea is that the gianduja will envelop the cherries and almonds. So I tap the molds on the counter for a long time to make sure the gianduja is settling. But air bubbles keep rising to the surface. This goes on for a long time. I am concerned that air is trapped inside, which, of course, is not a good thing. Can anyone think of a way to correct this problem?

Pipe gianduja halfway, add inclusions, press them down into the gianduja and top off with more gianduja?

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

24 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have an odd ganache question. I use Peter Greweling's recipe for dried cherries and toasted almonds in a hazelnut gianduja. He calls for slabbing it, but I have used it as a bonbon filling. The problem is that the mixture is incredibly difficult to pipe--with the chopped almonds and the cherries that tend to clump together (this happens to me also in his Cherry Kirsch recipe). So I came up with the "brilliant" idea of chopping up the cherries, coating the pieces in confectioner's sugar and dropping a few in each cavity, followed by a little of the chopped almonds, then on top the gianduja. The idea is that the gianduja will envelop the cherries and almonds. So I tap the molds on the counter for a long time to make sure the gianduja is settling. But air bubbles keep rising to the surface. This goes on for a long time. I am concerned that air is trapped inside, which, of course, is not a good thing. Can anyone think of a way to correct this problem?

Pipe gianduja halfway, add inclusions, press them down into the gianduja and top off?