• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CeeCee

CeeCee

added something

So I'm just an ex food sales person and have been around quite a few vegetarians and vegans both professionally and leisurely. I'm not a cooking professional, so not sure if this helpful..

Looking at vegan recipes, I see unroasted cashewnuts being used as a canvas a lot. I second @AAQuesada that almonds and oats are generally more popular than soy. Next to health issues, quite a few people do detect a soy taste and dislike it in my experience.

@Tri2Cook Have you seen and perhaps tried MCT and vegan protein powders? I know they can be very pricy, but the MCT powder can have a subdued or perhaps even absent coconut flavour.  Not familiar with this product, but I see it being recommend as a milk powder sub.

Edit: Now that I'm further down the rabbithole, I see it containing lecithine and silicium dioxide. That might be inconvenient and I also see ones that do contain lactose. Not my best suggestion, sorry.

The vegan protein powders come to my mind, because I saw an item on tv about a macaron baker that uses potato protein.

Some of this stuff is specificly blended for a neutral flavour. I see pumpkin protein being mentioned as such for instance, brown rice and quinoa too. Pea protein isolate seems common for bulk.

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement. And out of your scope, because it's not a powdered product. My bad...

Oh and on rice, I would like to say that I've disliked it so far. I've tried rice milk, chocolate rice milk and solid chocolate. Have found them a bit devoid of flavour and to skinny in texture. These were all white rice products to best of my knowledge and obviously quality can vary a lot. Perhaps it's not just a health marketing to use brown rice?

Carob could be an interesting choice too, as this is also being used as a chocolate substitute. It won't pass for the true chocolate lover, but it could boost the chocolate flavour in a way malt does too?

CeeCee

CeeCee

added something

So I'm just an ex food sales person and have been around quite a few vegetarians and vegans both professionally and leisurely. I'm not a cooking professional, so not sure if this helpful..

Looking at vegan recipes, I see unroasted cashewnuts being used as a canvas a lot. I second @AAQuesada that almonds and oats are generally more popular than soy. Next to health issues, quite a few people do detect a soy taste and dislike it in my experience.

@Tri2Cook Have you seen and perhaps tried MCT and vegan protein powders? I know they can be very pricy, but the MCT powder can have a subdued or perhaps even absent coconut flavour.  Not familiar with this product, but I see it being recommend as a milk powder sub.

Edit: Now that I'm further down the rabbithole, I see it containing lecithine and silicium dioxide. That might be inconvenient...

The vegan protein powders come to my mind, because I saw an item on tv about a macaron baker that uses potato protein.

Some of this stuff is specificly blended for a neutral flavour. I see pumpkin protein being mentioned as such for instance, brown rice and quinoa too. Pea protein isolate seems common for bulk.

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement. And out of your scope, because it's not a powdered product. My bad...

Oh and on rice, I would like to say that I've disliked it so far. I've tried rice milk, chocolate rice milk and solid chocolate. Have found them a bit devoid of flavour and to skinny in texture. These were all white rice products to best of my knowledge and obviously quality can vary a lot. Perhaps it's not just a health marketing to use brown rice?

Carob could be an interesting choice too, as this is also being used as a chocolate substitute. It won't pass for the true chocolate lover, but it could boost the chocolate flavour in a way malt does too?

CeeCee

CeeCee

added something

Edit: Now that I'm further down the rabbithole, I see it containing lecithine and silicium dioxide. That might be inconvenient...

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement. And out of your scope, because it's not a powdered product. My bad..

CeeCee

CeeCee

added something

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement. And out of your scope, because it's not a powdered product. My bad..

CeeCee

CeeCee

added something

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement.

CeeCee

CeeCee

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement.