• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

On 8/23/2020 at 8:19 AM, Alex said:

What to Drink with What You Eat (one of my favorite beverage-related books) says that seafood in general is a notable match

Agree about the book - I'm casually acquainted with both Karen and Andrew; we've been out to eat a number of times and they know their stuff.

And generally matching some of the foods that you're eating, with wines from the same region as the foods, often works well. So a Vinho Verde with Portuguese inspired seafood and you can't really go wrong (as well as being a great value, that wine).

1125727837_ChardonnayBeaujolaisBlanc08-23MG_1967.jpeg.2a3567090206469294c5a8b6bc5f1b1b.jpeg

This is the bottle drank a few nights ago - Beaujolais Blanc is an interesting wine, from a region known for its reds, and only 2% of the acreage is planted in this grape. Not much like classic Burgundian chards, I doubt these are very age-worthy - drink 'em when you get 'em. (I suppose if one has proper storage, buying a few cases of this at this price and seeing how they change over the next five years, would not be a terrible thing to do. Might be wise, as a matter of fact.)

Another "organic" "natural" wine ( as that's the stuff we like these days, despite not knowing or really caring what it means), and no oak. Expect the flavors of summer fruit and minerals and citrus, which is okay by me. Significant Eater got hints of cidre funk. Under $20. 

weinoo

weinoo

What to Drink with What You Eat (one of my favorite beverage-related books) says that seafood in general is a notable match

Agree about the book - I'm casually acquainted with both Karen and Andrew; we've been out to eat a number of times and they know their stuff.

And generally matching some of the foods that you're eating, with wines from the same region as the foods, often works well. So a Vinho Verde with Portuguese inspired seafood and you can't really go wrong (as well as being a great value, that wine).

1125727837_ChardonnayBeaujolaisBlanc08-23MG_1967.jpeg.2a3567090206469294c5a8b6bc5f1b1b.jpeg

This is the bottle drank a few nights ago - Beaujolais Blanc is an interesting wine, from a region known for its reds, and only 2% of the acreage is planted this. Not much like classic Burgundian chards, I don't think they're very age-worthy - drink 'em when you get 'em. (I suppose if one has proper storage, buying a few cases of this at this price and seeing how they change over the next five years, would not be a terrible thing to do. Might be wise, as a matter of fact.)

Another "organic" "natural" wine ( as that's the stuff we like these days, despite not knowing or really caring what it means), and no oak. Expect the flavors of summer fruit and minerals and citrus, which is okay by me. Significant Eater got hints of cidre funk. Under $20. 

weinoo

weinoo

This is the bottle drank a few nights ago - Beaujolais Blanc is an interesting wine, from a region known for its reds, and only 2% of the acreage is planted this. Not much like classic Burgundian chards,

I don't think they're very age-worthy - drink 'em when you get 'em. (I suppose if one has proper storage, buying a few cases of this at this price and seeing how they are over the next five years, would not be a terrible thing to do. Might be wise, as a matter of fact.)

weinoo

weinoo

This is the bottle drank last night - Beaujolais Blanc is an interesting wine, from a region known for its reds, and only 2% of the acreage is planted this. Not much like classic Burgundian chards,

I don't think they're very age-worthy - drink 'em when you get 'em. (I suppose if one has proper storage, buying a few cases of this at this price and seeing how they are over the next five years, would not be a terrible thing to do. Might be wise, as a matter of fact.)