• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

9 minutes ago, donk79 said:

Interesting.  I'm born, bred, and living in Virginia.  I may have heard the term dried beef, but chipped is definitely what it is called in my community.

I wouldn't suggest it now due to the pandemic, but next time you go to a grocery and ask for roast beef, or cooked ham chipped, if they aren't new, they will give you something that is so thin you can pile it high on a sandwich.

I do know what you are referring to, in diners in my area they use what they call chipped beef or dried beef for a breakfast dish called $hit on a $hingle, or SOS. Although if i remember correctly, its mostly served with chipped beef which is just plain beef shaved really thin.

FeChef

FeChef

5 minutes ago, donk79 said:

Interesting.  I'm born, bred, and living in Virginia.  I may have heard the term dried beef, but chipped is definitely what it is called in my community.

I wouldn't suggest it now due to the pandemic, but next time you go to a grocery and ask for roast beef, or cooked ham chipped, if they aren't new, they will give you something that is so thin you can pile it high on a sandwich.