• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 6/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, Shelby said:

I'm also doing a little mini stock-up.  I'm running low on things like brown sugar, powdered sugar and baking powder.    Also over the counter meds such as Immodium ad (yeah....stress makes me...well, you know).  And pet food.  My thinking is that it might be hard to find since so many shut downs of meat processing plants?    Trying to decide whether to go into a store or whether to order.  I'm sure it's cheaper to go into a store.

I'm going to be making homemade Clorox wipes soon.  I really thought by the time I ran out that they would be back in stock, but nope.  And believe me, I've rationed what I had.  Many places I've had to go do not have wipes at the door for their carts so I have to bring my own.

A lot of pet stores are doing curbside pickup -- order on the website, pull up to the store, and they'll put it in your trunk. The big chains (PetSmart and Petco) are both doing it, as are some of the smaller stores around us.

Glad to see downthread you found wipes. In terms of finding them online, I have had the best luck at Walmart -- who I literally never ordered from prior to the pandemic. The key is that if you see they have them, you have to check out fast before they disappear. So when we are starting to need another pack, I put $35 of other stuff in my cart on walmart.com (to ensure free shipping), search for wipes, filter by "ship to home," and refresh that page a few times a day. If they come in stock -- I add to cart and check out immediately.

I read an article a while back saying that wipe manufacturers were ramping up production but because of the retooling time it was going to take until summer. Think this is legitimately an area where demand has increased severalfold (as opposed to things like flour or toilet paper where it's package sizes and product mix that have held things up).

dtremit

dtremit

On 6/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, Shelby said:

I'm also doing a little mini stock-up.  I'm running low on things like brown sugar, powdered sugar and baking powder.    Also over the counter meds such as Immodium ad (yeah....stress makes me...well, you know).  And pet food.  My thinking is that it might be hard to find since so many shut downs of meat processing plants?    Trying to decide whether to go into a store or whether to order.  I'm sure it's cheaper to go into a store.

I'm going to be making homemade Clorox wipes soon.  I really thought by the time I ran out that they would be back in stock, but nope.  And believe me, I've rationed what I had.  Many places I've had to go do not have wipes at the door for their carts so I have to bring my own.

A lot of pet stores are doing curbside pickup -- order on the website, pull up to the store, and they'll put it in your trunk. The big chains (PetSmart and Petco) are both doing it, as are some of the smaller stores around us.

Glad to see downthread you found wipes. In terms of finding them online, I have had the best luck at Walmart -- who I literally never ordered from prior to the pandemic. The key is that if you see they have them, you have to check out fast before they disappear. So when we are starting to need another pack, I put $35 of other stuff in my cart on walmart.com, search for wipes, filter by "ship to home," and refresh that page a few times a day. If they come in stock -- I add to cart and check out immediately.

I read an article a while back saying that wipe manufacturers were ramping up production but because of the retooling time it was going to take until summer. Think this is legitimately an area where demand has increased severalfold (as opposed to things like flour or toilet paper where it's package sizes and product mix that have held things up).