• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Fixed link

ZAP YOUR GARLIC

seriously: faster, easier, better taste.  TRY IT!  I haven't chopped garlic in DECADES.  And I use a lot of it.

Microwaving whole cloves of garlic makes prepwork a breeze, takes less time than peeling and chopping, and a whole a lot less time to do it than to show how to do it! It gives oven-roasted mellow garlic flavor in a few minutes, and makes the garlic press an instrument of joy. Many cooks turn their noses up at pressed garlic because it is 'crude' or makes the garlic 'too strong' compared to larger pieces that cook more gently. Zapping it first TAMES THE FLAVOR so that you're adding mellow sweet nutty garlic wonderfulness to your fresh sauces (I was prepping for hummus in these videos) as well as cooked preparatons and not overwhelming Ka-POW! to your food. Add the zapped, pressed garlic after sauteeing to other ingredients to avoid scorching; it is already cooked so doesn't need that tricky step of taming in hot oil with all the risks of scorching. Try it, and you'll never go back to the slow peel & slice & dice again.

Finally put a video together on my non-commercial youtube channel.

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Fixed link

ZAP YOUR GARLIC

seriously: faster, easier, better taste.  TRY IT!  I haven't chopped garlic in DECADES.  And I use a lot of it.

Microwaving whole cloves of garlic makes prepwork a breeze, takes less time than peeling and chopping, and a whole a lot less time to do it than to show how to do it! It gives oven-roasted mellow garlic flavor in a few minutes, and makes the garlic press an instrument of joy. Many cooks turn their noses up at pressed garlic because it is 'crude' or makes the garlic 'too strong' compared to larger pieces that cook more gently. Zapping it first TAMES THE FLAVOR so that you're adding mellow sweet nutty garlic wonderfulness to your fresh sauces (I was prepping for hummus in these videos) as well as cooked preparatons and not overwhelming Ka-POW! to your food. Add the zapped, pressed garlic after sauteeing to other ingredients to avoid scorching; it is already cooked so doesn't need that tricky step of taming in hot oil with all the risks of scorching. Try it, and you'll never go back to the slow peel & slice & dice again.

(still processing, may be a few minutes before you can see the video)

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Fixed link

ZAP YOUR GARLIC

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

update on video processing time

ZAP YOUR GARLIC

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

ZAP YOUR GARLIC