• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

On 9/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, HungryChris said:

As a younger and (out of necessity)  more frugal person, one of my favorite cuts of meat was the lamb shank, with plenty of salt and pepper, cooked on the grill. They were cheap  cuts back then, until Emeril Lagasse made that bargain go away. I still remember watching him talk about them on his show one day, which ended something like: "Lamb shanks, if you see 'em, you get 'em, baby!!" Within a month, the price of lamb shanks more than tripled and I was forced to find something else for dinner.

HC

Here in Mexico, chamorro (pork shank) is extremely popular.  I have never shopped for pork shanks in the US, maybe it is reasonably priced.  You might want to try it.  Quick! before it gets featured on Food Network 👩‍🍳 🖥️

Chamorro is not as delicate as lamb shanks; it holds up well to a spicy red chile sauce.  Every bit as tender as lamb shanks if not more so.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

On 9/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, HungryChris said:

As a younger and (out of necessity)  more frugal person, one of my favorite cuts of meat was the lamb shank, with plenty of salt and pepper, cooked on the grill. They were cheap  cuts back then, until Emeril Lagasse made that bargain go away. I still remember watching him talk about them on his show one day, which ended something like: "Lamb shanks, if you see 'em, you get 'em, baby!!" Within a month, the price of lamb shanks more than tripled and I was forced to find something else for dinner.

HC

Here in Mexico, chamorro (pork shank) is extremely popular.  I have never shopped for pork shanks in the US but you might want to try it.  Quick! before it gets featured on Food Network 👩‍🍳 🖥️

Chamorro is not as delicate as lamb shanks; it holds up well to a  spicy red chile sauce.  Every bit as tender as lamb shanks if not more so.