• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 8/6/2019 at 12:34 PM, jedovaty said:

Thanks, TT and DT.  I got rid of it.

Now to continue waiting, hoping the mother will spontaneously will itself into existence some day.  Funny how I cannot find any information on how to do this anywhere...!

You can buy a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar with the "Mother" - there are a couple of other brands that carry it and 

start your vinegar with at least a full pint bottle of the Bragg to which you add at least two bottles of red wine or white wine, 

keep it in a place away from direct light, covered with a permeable cloth that has been sterilized with boiling water (dry it in a very low oven, not in the dryer). After three weeks (it takes about 20 days for the mother to "take hold" of the wine) you can add another bottle.

I have my vinegars in larger containers with spigots at the bottom so I can draw off vinegar without disturbing the mother. You can add either wine or fruit juice (boiled and cooled) once the mother is established. 

It takes about 6 months and 5 bottles of red wine for it to convert completely from the cider base to the red wine base for regular wine. If you use a SWEETER dessert wine, it converts more rapidly and with less wine. The mother likes sugar.

It takes longer with dry WHITE wine but can be sped up with sweeter wines. I did a batch with 2 bottles of Liebfraumilch and one bottle of Riesling that converted in 3 months. Couldn't taste even a hint of the cider.

Amazon and others online SELL wine mothers.

These photos are of my main red wine, which is easiest to access in my big pantry. 

This mother was started in 1994 - after the January earthquake when my old GLASS carboy broke when something fell on it. 

I got this at a restaurant supply place, BPA free and acid-proof.  

HPIM3801.thumb.jpg.bbfd2d2c9ea95d5ebd1cf24ca5c214a8.jpg

The mother is a solid, disc-shaped mass that floats just below the surface. I "feed" it at least every 6 weeks, usually with boiled and cooled grape juice (I juice my own grapes).  From time to time friends who are wine enthusiasts bring me bottles of opened and not finished wines from one of their parties.  (I don't drink alcohol because of a severe allergy.) 

HPIM3802.jpg.0337b683fffeb463a8d89331ce065130.jpg

I drew off some and tested the Ph which is right at 3.7, which I consider ideal for this type. 

HPIM3804.thumb.jpg.c59bd2936b025fd55171328fce608482.jpg

This vinegar can be poured over crushed ice, seltzer added and drunk as a cooler.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

Thanks, TT and DT.  I got rid of it.

Now to continue waiting, hoping the mother will spontaneously will itself into existence some day.  Funny how I cannot find any information on how to do this anywhere...!

You can buy a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar with the "Mother" - there are a couple of other brands that carry it and 

start your vinegar with at least a full pint bottle of the Bragg to which you add at least two bottles of red wine or white wine, 

keep it in a place away from direct light, covered with a permeable cloth that has been sterilized with boiling water (dry it in a very low oven, not in the dryer). After three weeks (it takes about 20 days for the mother to "take hold" of the wine) you can add another bottle.

I have my vinegars in larger containers with spigots at the bottom so I can draw off vinegar without disturbing the mother. You can add either wine or fruit juice (boiled and cooled) once the mother is established. 

It takes about 6 months and 5 bottles of red wine for it to convert completely from the cider base to the red wine base for regular wine. If you use a SWEETER dessert wine, it converts more rapidly and with less wine. The mother likes sugar.

It takes longer with dry WHITE wine but can be sped up with sweeter wines. I did a batch with 2 bottles of Liebfraumilch and one bottle of Riesling that converted in 3 months. Couldn't taste even a hint of the cider.

Amazon and others online SELL wine mothers.

These photos are of my main red wine, which is easiest to access in my big pantry. 

This mother was started in 1994 - after the January earthquake when my old GLASS carboy broke when something fell on it. 

I got this at a restaurant supply place, BPA free and acid-proof.  

HPIM3801.thumb.jpg.bbfd2d2c9ea95d5ebd1cf24ca5c214a8.jpg

The mother is a solid, disc-shaped mass that floats just below the surface. I "feed" it at least every 6 weeks, usually with boiled and cooled grape juice (I juice my own grapes).  From time to time friends who are wine enthusiasts bring me bottles of opened and not finished wines from one of their parties.  (I don't drink alcohol because of a severe allergy.) 

HPIM3802.jpg.0337b683fffeb463a8d89331ce065130.jpg

I drew off some and tested the Ph which is right at 2.7, which I consider ideal. 

HPIM3804.thumb.jpg.c59bd2936b025fd55171328fce608482.jpg

This vinegar can be poured over crushed ice, seltzer added and drunk as a cooler.