• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Alex

Alex

I don't know enough to say whether Bulrush is sui generis, but it's got to be a very, very small club. Beyond the food and spot-on alcohol pairings (thanks, Chris), it was eye-opening as to what could be done with food (and a small kitchen and just two chefs). Those of you who've followed the Bulrush forum know how much thought and care went into both the big and small pictures. And the meal itself was far, far from boring -- which even highly touted restaurants can fall victim to. I fully expect another Beard nomination, if not an award, for Rob and/or the restaurant, and for Bulrush to be named one of 2019's the best new restaurants by Food & Wine magazine.

The $155 for food and alcohol pairing (I'd say wine pairing, but one of the pairings was a pear cider) includes tax and tip, so here in Michigan it's the equivalent of about $125 sans -- absolutely worth it.

Hint: The main dining area seating is in a "U" around the kitchen. If in a group of three or four, when you make a reservation, ask if you could be seated at a corner.

Alex

Alex

I don't know enough to say whether Bulrush is sui generis, but it's got to be a very, very small club. Beyond the food and spot-on alcohol pairings (thanks, Chris), it was eye-opening as to what could be done with food (and a small kitchen and just two chefs). Those of you who've followed the Bulrush forum know how much thought and care went into both the large and small pictures. And the meal itself was far, far from boring -- which even highly touted restaurants can fall victim to. I fully expect another Beard nomination, if not an award, for Rob and/or the restaurant, and for Bulrush to be named one of 2019's the best new restaurants by Food & Wine magazine.

The $155 for food and alcohol pairing (I'd say wine pairing, but one of the pairings was a pear cider) includes tax and tip, so here in Michigan it's the equivalent of about $125 sans -- absolutely worth it.

Hint: The main dining area seating is in a "U" around the kitchen. If in a group of three or four, when you make a reservation, ask if you could be seated at a corner.