• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington Post article: a New Wave of Immigrant Cookbooks

Smithy

I know, I could also have posted this to the Food Media & Arts forum, but it's just cost me 2 new cookbooks (after I donated a few dozen to my library) so I figure it belongs here:

A new wave of immigrant cookbooks celebrates America’s delicious diversity

The first book listed, Heirloom Kitchen, has a great premise: the writer realized she didn't know how to make her mother's dishes because none of the recipes were written down, then realized that many of her friends from immigrant families might have the same problem. She collected recipes from mothers and grandmothers, observing and taking notes and cooking with them, and the result comes from many countries. I fell for it. The WaPo's link goes to the Kindle version, but I just bought the hardback. It should be here in time to celebrate the 4th of July.

The other book that I couldn't resist is one that I thought to purchase a year or so ago. At the time the shipping was far too expensive. Together: Our Community Kitchen is a project of the Hubb Community Kitchen in London, England. I'll let you read about its background and philanthropic purpose in the article.

Two other books are listed in the article. I've resisted them so far.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown