• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

21 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Agreed.   Parts can get pricy.    At my Asian super, wings are more expensive than breast.    I roast a whole chicken for the two of us, keep enough breast for a sandwich for DH and turn the rest of the meaty carcass into broth.    

Yes - even if I buy a rotisserie chicken (from the one place where the rotisserie chickens are edible and not blown up with sodium), I generally don't serve the chicken on the bone - I'll remove the meat and then use the carcass and bits, along with any other bits I might have in the freezer, to make some IP stock.

I'm lucky enough (depending on one's point of view) to live 2 minutes from Chinatown.  Okay, in Chinatown.  Many of the markets (and there are plenty) offer what they call old hens (skinny layers that had seen better days) at like 2 for $5 - they make a great stock addition.

weinoo

weinoo

18 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Agreed.   Parts can get pricy.    At my Asian super, wings are more expensive than breast.    I roast a whole chicken for the two of us, keep enough breast for a sandwich for DH and turn the rest of the meaty carcass into broth.    

Yes - even if I buy a rotisserie chicken (from the one place where the rotisserie chickens are edible and not blown up with sodium), I generally don't serve the chicken on the bone - I'll remove the meat and then use the carcass and bits, along with any other bits I might have in the freezer, to make some IP stock.

I'm lucky enough (depending on one's point of view) to live 2 minutes from Chinatown.  Okay, in Chinatown.  Manyh of the markets (and there are plenty) offer what they call old hens (skinny layers that had seen better days) at like 2 for $5 - they make a great stock addition.