• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cdh

cdh

Flavors are all over the place.  The black tomatoes I've grown have been pretty much indistinguishable from red ones.  They were not all black at all, anyway... they were a very dark red, with greenish shoulders... but called black.  Has somebody succeeded in breeding an evenly black tomato?  

Anyway, I find the yellow and white tomatoes sweeter and less acid, the green ones sweet with middling acidity, red ones are all over the place, but if you're looking for a sharper more acid tomato, it will probably be red.

Then again, tomato flavor depends as much on the dirt it grows in as the breed of plant... so YMMV.

cdh

cdh

Flavors are all over the place.  The black tomatoes I've grown have been pretty much indistinguishable from red ones.  They were not all black at all, anyway... they were a very dark red, with greenish shoulders... but called black.  Has somebody succeeded in breeding an evenly black tomato?  

Anyway, I find the yellow and white tomatoes sweeter and less acid, the green ones sweet with middling acidity, red ones are all over the place, but if you're looking for a sharper more acid tomato, it will probably be red.