• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Steve R.

Steve R.

I’m sure we must have sent something back some time or other, but it’s been extremely rare (& probably not well done 😂).  Even when, maybe 25 years ago, my wife ordered an arugula salad & received a Boston/iceberg lettuce mix.  She pointed it out to the waitress, who, without any trace of understanding, replied “we ran out of arugula”.  But it didn’t go back.  Neither did we.

eta: just realized that corked wine is the exception here.  Lots of times we’ve sent that back.

Steve R.

Steve R.

I’m sure we must have sent something back some time or other, but it’s been extremely rare (& probably not well done 😂).  Even when, maybe 25 years ago, my wife ordered an arugula salad & received a Boston/iceberg lettuce mix.  She pointed it out to the waitress, who, without any trace of understanding, replied “we ran out of arugula”.  But it didn’t go back.  Neither did we.