• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Well if you ever were overweight or involved in weight issues you'd know. My anger level is  intense. That said I'll add celery to the mix! 

If I already knew, I wouldn't be confused :/

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Why would a product having an association with dieting cause anger in a person who is or was overweight? Does the overweight person think "nope, don't want anybody to see me eating that and think I'm trying to lose some weight"? Does a person who isn't overweight think "nope, don't want anybody to see me eating that and think I'm fat"? I'm not trying to be nasty here, I just really don't understand the anger. I assumed the thing in the article that talked about a negative association to diet foods was referring to the line of thinking some people have where they automatically say "yuck" any time you tell them something is healthy or low fat or low sugar or anything along that line.

1 hour ago, munchymom said:

Imagine growing up in a family where in a typical meal everyone is having burgers and fries, except for you, the fat person, who is given a bunless hamburger patty with sliced tomatoes and cottage cheese. Multiply this experience times a few thousand. You're probably not going to run out and get cottage cheese for a tasty snack once you're an adult.

Ok, I can see how if you were forced to eat it or had negative experiences your youth, you'd avoid it as an adult.  But are people who weren't fat-shamed in the 80's avoiding cottage cheese?  Maybe it reminds them of their parents being on a diet and they've inherited some hatred?  Grandma was always doing weight watchers or TOPS and I'm sure she had some lunches of cottage cheese.  My older sister has always been heavier, Grandma badgered her about it and no doubt scarred her in other ways, but Mom didn't make special meals for anyone.  We had dinner as a family and there were always fresh vegetables or green salad.  Sometimes we'd have cottage cheese but it wasn't a diet thing, just a side dish.   That would be awful to be singled out and denied as a child. 

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Well if you ever were overweight or involved in weight issues you'd know. My anger level is  intense. That said I'll add celery to the mix! 

If I already knew, I wouldn't be confused :/

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Why would a product having an association with dieting cause anger in a person who is or was overweight? Does the overweight person think "nope, don't want anybody to see me eating that and think I'm trying to lose some weight"? Does a person who isn't overweight think "nope, don't want anybody to see me eating that and think I'm fat"? I'm not trying to be nasty here, I just really don't understand the anger. I assumed the thing in the article that talked about a negative association to diet foods was referring to the line of thinking some people have where they automatically say "yuck" any time you tell them something is healthy or low fat or low sugar or anything along that line.

1 hour ago, munchymom said:

Imagine growing up in a family where in a typical meal everyone is having burgers and fries, except for you, the fat person, who is given a bunless hamburger patty with sliced tomatoes and cottage cheese. Multiply this experience times a few thousand. You're probably not going to run out and get cottage cheese for a tasty snack once you're an adult.

Ok, I can see how if you were forced to eat it or had negative experiences your youth, you'd avoid it as an adult.  But are people who weren't fat-shamed in the 80's avoiding cottage cheese?  Maybe it reminds them of their parents being on a diet and they've inherited some hatred?  Grandma was always doing weight watcher or TOPS and I'm sure she had some lunches of cottage cheese.  My older sister has always been heavier, Grandma badgered her about it and no doubt scarred her in other ways, but Mom didn't make special meals for anyone.  We had dinner as a family and there were always fresh vegetables or green salad.  Sometimes we'd have cottage cheese but it wasn't a diet thing, just a side dish.   That would be awful to be singled out and denied as a child.