• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

I agree with what @KennethT said about par-boiling before the saute. 

I never worked in a Chinese kitchen but books by Chinese professional chefs regularly use this method. 

The same sources also say that Chinese chef's don't sear the meat to burn off meat scum so that's why the par-boiling is necessary in many cases - like a stock or braise. 

I was never sure myself the need to par-boil choy-sum or other delicate vegetables (but the method applies here also) 

but when I do so, I notice the veg has more gloss, moisture, and suppleness than direct heat sear (with a tablespoon of water or too to make it cook through if necessary) 

@jemartin - the recipe you have sort of reminds me of maipo tofu (which you might want to try but I'm guessing you already know - one of the super popular dishes of Sichuan) 

eugenep

eugenep

I agree with what @KennethT said about par-boiling before the saute. 

I never worked in a Chinese kitchen but books by Chinese professional chefs regularly use this method. 

The same sources also say that Chinese chef's don't sear the meat to burn off meat scum so that's why the par-boiling is necessary in many cases - like a stock or braise. 

I was never sure myself the need to par-boil choy-sum or other delicate vegetables (but the method applies here also) 

but when I do so, I notice the veg has more gloss, moisture, and suppleness than direct heat sear (with a tablespoon of water or too to make it cook through if necessary) 

@jemartin - the recipe you have sort of reminds me of maipo tofu (which you might want to try but I'm guessing you already know - one of the super popular dishes of Sichan) 

eugenep

eugenep

I agree with what KennethT said about par-boiling before the saute. 

@jemartin - the recipe you have sort of reminds me of maipo tofu (which you might want to try but I'm guessing you already know - one of the super popular dishes of Sichan)