• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Why not just realize the limitations of cooking at home, instead of pretend you're in a restaurant setting?

Yes. Like 99.99% of Chinese people do. In a quarter of a century I've never met anyone here in China with anything but a regular stove. I wouldn't even know where to source a high powered burner. They seem to be a peculiarly American obsession.

"Wok Hei" is a Cantonese term unknown to the vast majority of Chinese people. In Mandarin, spoken by most Chinese people, it would be 镬气 (huò qì), but to repeat, most would say "What's that?" Cantonese speakers are around 5% of China's population.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Why not just realize the limitations of cooking at home, instead of pretend you're in a restaurant setting?

Yes. Like 99.99% of Chinese people do. In a quarter of a century I've never met anyone here in China with anything but a regular stove. I wouldn't even know where to source a high powered burner. They seem to be a peculiarly American obsession.

"Wok Hei" is a Cantonese term unknown to the vast majority of Chinese people. In Mandarin, spoken by most Chinese people it would be 镬气 (huò qì), but to repeat, most would say "What's that?" Cantonese speakers are around 5% of China's population.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

"Wok Hei" is a Cantonese term unknown to the vast majority of Chinese people. In Mandarin, spoken by most Chinese people it would be 镬气 (huò qì), but to repeat most would say "What's that?" Cantonese speakers are around 5% of China's population.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yes. Like 99.99% of Chinese people do. In quarter of a century I've never met anyone here in China with anything but a regular stove. I wouldn't even know where to source a high powered burner. They seem to be a peculiarly American obsession.

"Wok Hei" is a Cantonese term unknown to the vast majority of Chinese people. In Mandarin, spoken by most Chinese people it would be 镬气 (huò qì), but to repeat most would say "What's that?" Cantonese speakers are around 5% of China's population.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yes. Like 99.99% of Chinese people do. In quarter of a century I've never met anyone here in China with anything but a regular stove. I wouldn't even know where to source a high powered burner. They seem to be a peculiarly American obsession.