• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

Well, today my goal was to make and compare 6 very different approaches to chewy caramels. During batch #3 I had to run out of the room and I asked my teenagers to keep an eye on the pot (it was a Maillard caramel and needed to boil off a bunch of water still) and let me know if it started to darken. I came downstairs to oblivious teens doing other things and black smoke billowing from my pot. So instead of making more caramel, I spent 65 minutes (after soaking with both boiling water and a mix of hot vinegar and baking soda) with steel wool and Bar Keeper’s Friend removing the blackened mess from my pot. 

Does that count?

894569FD-C2D8-4A12-8620-BE9426923BF8.thumb.jpeg.9eeb9e77b1704f67baa756164c414dfe.jpeg

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

Well, today my goal was to make and compare 6 very different approaches to chewy caramels. During batch #3 I had to run out of the room and I asked my teenagers to keep an eye on the pot (it was a Maillard caramel and needed to boil off a bunch of water still) and let me know if it started to darken. I came downstairs to oblivious teens doing other things and black smoke billowing from my pot. So instead of making more caramel, I spent 65 minutes (after soaking with both boiling water and a mix of hot vinegar and baking soda) with steel wool and Bar Keeper’s Friend removing the blackened mess from my pot. 

Does that count?