• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 1/19/2019 at 6:16 PM, afrank said:

I would use my oven, but it’s too inaccurate and the temperature range is all over the place.

I actually experimented using a couple of thermometers. I set my oven to 220F and started keeping track of the temperature after about 15 minutes. The actual reading was from a low of around 225F to a high temperature of 255F. I should note that I have a super cheap oven and I kind of assume a higher-end unit would be able to maintain a temperature more accurately.

I would replace my oven, but I can’t. I’m living in a rental and the oven came with the apartment. So I’m looking for a device that is relatively small, that I can stow away easily when I don’t need it.

Something else you could try is the following—I've done it in the past to get a much more stable temperature.

Place a large covered roasting pan or stock pot in your current oven and test the average temperature inside that (keeping the sensor suspended)—it should be MUCH more stable.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I would use my oven, but it’s too inaccurate and the temperature range is all over the place.

I actually experimented using a couple of thermometers. I set my oven to 220F and started keeping track of the temperature after about 15 minutes. The actual reading was from a low of around 225F to a high temperature of 255F. I should note that I have a super cheap oven and I kind of assume a higher-end unit would be able to maintain a temperature more accurately.

I would replace my oven, but I can’t. I’m living in a rental and the oven came with the apartment. So I’m looking for a device that is relatively small, that I can stow away easily when I don’t need it.

Something else you could try is the following—I've done it in the past to get a much more stable temperature.

Place a large covered roasting pan or stock pot in your current oven and test the average temperature inside that(keeping the sensor suspended)—it should be MUCH more stable.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Place a large covered roasting pan or stock pot in your current oven and test the average temperature inside that—it should be MUCH more stable.