• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

That reminds me of a Chinese restaurant where I used to live. They had two menus, one for regular people and one for Chinese customers.  We always asked for the Chinese menu then had to have everything explained to us. Some of the food had a lot of those little red chilies.  They were good but I had to take them in moderation. 

With this dish, the chillies are not eaten. The idea is to pick out the chicken meat buried within the pile of red chilli and Sichuan peppercorns. It is still spicy, though. The dish is from Chongqing, but found all over Sichuan and in almost every Sichuan restaurant elsewhere.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

That reminds me of a Chinese restaurant where I used to live. They had two menus, one for regular people and one for Chinese customers.  We always asked for the Chinese menu then had to have everything explained to us. Some of the food had a lot of those little red chilies.  They were good but I had to take them in moderation. 

With this dish, the chillies are not eaten. The idea is to pick out the chicken meat buried within the pile of red chilli and Sichuian peppercorns. It is still spicy, though. The dish is from Chongqing, but found all over Sichuan and in almost every Sichuan restaurant elsewhere.