• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

New Years day dinner was the same as always, sort of.  The store had pork shanks. A brand I have had before. It was mostly bone with just a bite or two of pork. Pork not ham. So I got a nice sliced ham and cut the meaty small end off.  You know the end that is never sliced and hard to get at the meat. I have a butchers bone saw that I used to cut the bone. I cooked it with the black eyed peas and the meat just fell off the bone and tasted just like ham shanks or ham hocks, plus there was a lot more meat for future meals. We also had collards and cornbread. I cooked the collards like spinach- in a skillet with just a tiny bit of water instead of boiling it for a couple of hours, then added onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and the ham  and some bean water. I think I will do it that way in the future.   I hope everyone had a great NYE and will have a great new year

20190101_152210.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

New Years day dinner was the same as always, sort of.  The store had pork shanks. A brand I have had before. It was mostly bone with just a bite or two of pork. Pork not ham. So I got a nice sliced ham and cut the meaty bone end off.  You know the end that is never sliced and hard to get at the meat. I have a butchers bone saw that I used to cut the bone. I cooked it with the black eyed peas and the meat just fell off the bone and tasted just like ham shanks or ham hocks, plus there was a lot more meat for future meals. We also had collards and cornbread. I cooked the collards like spinach- in a skillet with just a tiny bit of water instead of boiling it for a couple of hours, then added onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and the ham  and some bean water. I think I will do it that way in the future.   I hope everyone had a great NYE and will have a great new year

20190101_152210.jpg