• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BadRabbit

BadRabbit

Removing duplicate picture

I've been reading the Noma Guide to Fermentation and I'm a little confused as some things don't seem well explained. 

Most of the recipes use pearl barley koji (recipe included) and I assume you are meant to use the still somewhat wet version that you have at the end of that recipe. It also tells you how to dry that koji but there are no instructions on how to then use that dried version in the recipes like garum and shoyu. 

1) If using the dried version should I pre-rehydrate with a certain percentage of water? Or should I just add water to the recipe and mix? 

2) They say you can use any of the kojis other than barley as substitutes but could you use the dried rice koji that you purchase (pictured below and assuming adjusting for water like in #1) in the garum recipes without the koji fermentation step or would you still need to use the dried koji below to inoculate new rice and ferment?

s-l640.jpg

BadRabbit

BadRabbit

Removing duplicate picture

I've been reading the Noma Guide to Fermentation and I'm a little confused as some things don't seem well explained. 

Most of the recipes use pearl barley koji (recipe included) and I assume you are meant to use the still somewhat wet version that you have at the end of that recipe. It also tells you how to dry that koji but there are no instructions on how to then use that dried version in the recipes like garum and shoyu. 

1) If using the dried version should I pre-rehydrate with a certain percentage of water? Or should I just add water to the recipe and mix? 

2) They say you can use any of the kojis other than barley as substitutes but could you use the dried rice koji that you purchase (pictured below and assuming adjusting for water like in #1) in the garum recipes without the koji fermentation step or would you still need to use the dried koji below to inoculate new rice and ferment?

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

BadRabbit

BadRabbit

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg