• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

K8CanCook

K8CanCook

eGullettiers,

I am making Tare for 50+ Yakitori skewers, and I have two questions related to the use of Negi vs Scallions:

1. What is the delta between Negi/Tokyo Onions, and Scallions/Green Onions in flavor/texture? Is it enough of a difference that I should I fret over the flavor of the Tare? 
  2. Assuming I can't get Negi in time or if there is little taste difference, if a recipe is calling for Negi by the gram, do I need to adjust up or down for Scallions, or just apply them evenly to substitute?

Geeky responses are welcome, I have two days to put the sauce together.

K8CanCook

K8CanCook

eGullettiers,

I am making Tare for 50+ Yakitori skewers, and I have two questions related to the use of Negi vs Scallions:

1. What is the delta between Negi/Tokyo Onions, and Scallions/Green Onions in flavor/texture? Is it enough of a difference that I should I fret over the flavor of the Tare? 
  2. Assuming I cant get Negi in time or if there is little taste difference, if a recipe is calling for Negi by the gram, do I need to adjust up or down for Scallions, or just apply them evenly to substitute?

Geeky responses are welcome, I have two days to put the sauce together.